Wednesday, May 6, 2015

 
CHECKPOINT UNITS 7-9
 
What would you have done?
When Andrew was growing up, he was careful with his money. He got an allowance every week from his parents, and because he wanted to go to college, he set aside money every month. He opened a savings account that pays good interest, so his savings grew. In college, he didn’t have much money, but he had a budget and stuck to it. He kept track of the money he spent, and when he bought things, he always paid in cash.
But then, Andrew won $1 million in a lottery, and everything changed. He didn’t invest money in stocks and bonds. Instead, he went on a spending spree. He bought a house, a car, clothes, and computers, and he spent a lot on travel and entertainment. Soon he had nothing left, so he applied for a credit card and started charging his everyday expenses. To pay his college tuition fees, he took out a loan, which he is still paying off. Andrew has a good job now, but he still hasn’t got out of debt.
B. Answer the questions using past modals would have, should have, could have, must have, might have, or may have. Discuss your answers with a partner.
1.  What should Andrew have done with the money he won?
      Andrew should have paid off his college tuition fees.
2. Is there anything he shouldn’t have done?
     He shouldn’t have spent all his money.
3. What would you have done differently? What wouldn’t you have done?
     I would have saved all the money I won. I wouldn’t have spent money on travel and entertainment.
4. How do you think he must have felt after he’d spent all the money?
    I think he must have felt regret.
5. Why do you think Andrew went on a spending spree?
     He must have felt so happy and could not control hiss happiness.
2. How many words can you remember?

Nouns                                                                         Adjectives
Honesty                                                                       Friendly
Friendliness                                                                 Happy
Kindness                                                                      Sad
Generosity                                                                   Andry
Selfishness                                                                   Shy
Happiness                                                                    Competitive
Kindness                                                                      Chatty
Creatiueness                                                                Childish
Leadership                                                                   Impatient
 
 
3. What were they saying?
A Complete these quotations with a problem, and then add a solution, using the appropriate form of the verb given.
1. John: “I went rock climbing, and I got this really big hole in my backpack.
             It needs to be sewn. Are you good at sewing?”
2. Alice: “My kitchen faucet keeps dripping, and I can’t turn it off.  It needs to be fixed, but I can’t afford               to get a plumber done it right now. Can you take a look at it?”
3. Robert: “I have this big oil spilt on my good jacket. I have to have it cleaned before my job interview                   next week. Which dry cleaner’s has the fastest service?”
4. Maria: “My watch has been running off. I’ve never had the battery changed, so it probably needs to         be replace. How much will a new battery cost?”
5. Hilary: “I had a car accident, and one of my doors got a big scratch in it. I’ve been looking for a place                 to get it fixed. Who fixed your car after your accident?”
 
B.  Report the general content of each person’s problem, using was saying (that) or was telling me (that). Then report exactly what the person said and asked about the solution, shifting the tenses back.
 
John was saying that he got a hole in his backpack when he went rock climbing. He said that it needed to be sewn, and then he asked if l was good at sewing!
Alice was saying that her kitchen faucet kept dripping and she couldn’t turn it off. She said it needed to be fixed. But she could not afford to be a plumber done it right then. She asked me to take a look at it.
Robert was saying that he had this big oil spilt on his jacket. He said he has to have that cleaned. Before his job interview next week. He asked which dry clearer’s has the fastest service.
Maria was telling me that her watch had been running off. She said she had never has battery changed. So that probably needed to be replaced. She asked how much would a new battery cost.
Hilary was telling me that she had a car accident, and one of her doors got a big scratch in it. She said she has been looking for a place to get that fixed. She asked who fixed my car after my accident.
4. Want some help?

A Complete the conversations with words like Ow, Ouch, Oops, Ooh, Ugh, Uh-oh, and Shoot. Sometimes more than one answer is possible. Then practice with a partner.
1. A OW! I just got an electric shock. I should get that iron fixed.
    B Ouch! I bet that hurt. Are you OK?
2. A Ooh! My computer just crashed again. I can’t understand it. It keeps happening.
    B Shoot! Maybe you’ve got a virus. Do you want me to look at it?
3. A Ooh! I’m hungry. Do you want a snack?
    B Sure! Let’s see. Do you want some scrambled eggs?
    A Ugh / Yuck! I can’t stand eggs.
    B Oops / Whoops! I just dropped them. Oh, well, never mind.
 
4. B Pair work Make each sentence “shorter” if possible, and practice again. Can you continue the conversations?
1. A OW! Just got a shock. I should get that fixed.
    B Ouch! Bet that hurt. You OK?
    A Yeah. Think so. Guess I ought to…
2. A Ooh! My computer just crashed again. I can’t understand why it keeps happening.
    B Shoot! Maybe you have got a virus. You want me look at it?
    A Yes please look at it.
3. A Ooh! I’m hungry. Do you want a snack?
    B Sure! Let’s see. Do you want some scrambled eggs?
    A Yuck! I can’t stand eggs.
    B Oops! I just dropped them. Oh, well, never mind.
    A Oops! I just dropped them. So never mind.
    B That is good. Let’s have pome ships.

No comments:

Post a Comment